You have guest access to browse or login.

Fields of Despair: France 1914-1918
Super-charged News...120+ Posts as of 24 May! | Register for CSW Expo 2016 Today
I want to: [Join | Subscribe to Forum] | [Receive | Submit News] | Buy/Sell | Get Help | Report Forum Abuse | Donate]
XML RSS feed

Go to:

[F] CSW Forum  / Boardgaming  / *INDIVIDUAL GAMES AND GAME SERIES Discussion  / Era: World War I  / Fields of Despair: France 1914-1918

[Keckley, Kurt]Kurt Keckley - 11:57pm Jan 18, 2014 EST
GMT P500 - Support Fields of Despair Today! 500, err 600 Orders Before the Snow Falls...

New to GMT's P500 List!

Fields of Despair: France 1914-1918 is a 2-player hex-based strategic level block war game set on the Western Front of the First World War. Players take control of the Allies or Central Powers fighting the war on land, at sea, and in the air all the while making tough economic and technological decisions at home.

Fields of Despair includes a 10-turn 1914-1918 historical campaign, playable in a single day, as well as historical scenarios for the early, mid and late war playable in 3 hours. Free set up scenarios for all 4 periods are also included which allow for alternate history play.

Design: Kurt Keckley Development: Mike Bertucelli

Design Blog: http://worldwaroneboardgame.wordpress.com/

GMT Page: http://www.gmtgames.com/p-473-fields-of-despair.aspx.

Board Game Geek Page http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/153728/fields-of-despair-france-1914-1918

Attachment:

Fields of Despair Living Rules Public v3.pdf

Older Items Oldest Items Outline (older msg: 93)

Ron Artigues - Jun 2, 2015 9:40 pm (#94 Total: 113)  

[Artigues, Ron]
Rules viewing

P1 1.2 Trench Warfare 3rd line "A global state of trench ware..." s/b "A global state of trench warfare..."

P4 The Eastern Front 3rd line ...on the Eastern Front Play Aid." Missing beginning quote

Last line ("Can play aide fit on map") needs to be removed

P6 6.2.3 Stacking Limit 6th/7th line "If Manpower deployment would violate..." s/b "If manpower deployment would violate..."

P6 6.4.1/6.4.2 In 6.4.1 you have "u-boats," in 6.4.2 you write it "U-boat" Be consistent with capitalization.

P7 Production Item table The turn limit column for Convert Infantry into Cavalry reads 'no' In the rules for Calvary Blocks the very last note reads (Limit 1 EP). Is there a limit or not?

P7 "Air Squadrons: Three steps in order:" This one is more personal preference, but it is awkward for me. Maybe change to 'Perform these 3 steps in order.'

P7 Strategy Tip! 5th line "...Allies take initiative, the move first..." s/b "...Allies take initiative, they move first..."

P8 Strategy Tip! last line "...initiate dogfighting and vice verse." s/b "...initiate dogfighting and vice versa."

P9 7.1.2 Dogfight Procedure Applying Aborts last line of 7.1.2 (top of right column, p9) "Each remaining "5" of the passive player deduces the recon value..." s/b "Each remaining "5" of the passive player reduces the recon value..."

Eyes/brain need a rest, I'll go over pp10-18 after I recharge.

Overall, reading the rules increases my interest in this title. I am going to try very hard to make it to Strategicon in LA over Labor Day to actually play this (2p or solo).

Ron Artigues - Jun 3, 2015 10:58 am (#95 Total: 113)  

[Artigues, Ron]
Rules viewing part Deux

p10 7.2.2 Contested Hexes Personal preference, I would change "Blocks, moving out out of a contested hex, must first enter..." to Blocks moving out of a contested hex must first enter..." Not sure why you put those 2 commas there.

P11 7.3.1 and 7.3.1.1 In section 7.3.1 The IMPORTANT note, it reads: "Artillery fire may never clear a hex completely..." OK, got that.

But then, in 7.3.1.1, Fortress Hexes, it reads "Any results of "6" remaining after all blocks are removed..." and this is where I am thinking, how can you remove ALL blocks when the Important note says you can't?

Maybe you should change 7.3.1.1 to read: "Any results of "6" remaining after all CV are removed (subject to limits of the Important note above)..." or something similar.

P11 7.3.3 Infantry Combat line 8 Change "If the passive did not retreat..." to "If the passive player did not retreat..."

P11 7.3.3 Infantry Combat 3rd paragraph, 1st line reads "If all passive player blocks and/or fortresss are removed from a hex..."

2 problems. Fortesss isn't a word, you want fortress, or maybe fortresses, but not fortresss with 3 trailing 's'. Second problem, as I understand it, a fortress is printed on the map, you can never really 'remove' it, right?

Maybe change 1st line to read, "If all passive player blocks are removed, and/or any fortress in the hex is destroyed..."

P11 7.3.3 Combat Table. Which player decides which of the optional table to use? Do both players have to use the same table?

P12 Trench Warfare and Trench Defensive Dice sections In the Trench Warfare paragraph, you refer to "trench defense dice" and yet the very next section is labelled "Trench Defensive Dice". Doesn't matter if you use defense or defensive, but be consistent.

Same section, Trench Defensive Dice. When I first read the paragraph, I couldn't figure out how many dice to roll. Then I got to the next section "The Hindenburg Line" and after THAT I saw a table which I think is used for Trench Defensive Dice. If that chart is indeed for TDD, I would move it ABOVE the section "The Hindenburg Line" and I would also probably put a title on the chart as well.

P12 Fortress Hex Part of this section is confusing. First I read "If, at the end of infantry combat, the fortress combat strength is zero, it is considered destroyed. Hits to defending blocks in subsequent combat now occur per normal combat rules. Thus if a fortress is destroyed during artillery fire, the benefit to the controlling player remains until the end of infantry combat."

WAIT! First line says the fortress isn't destroyed until '...the end of infantry combat...' So how can it be destroyed by artillery fire?! Artillery fire takes place BEFORE infantry combat! I would rewrite the entire paragraph like this:

"If, at the end of infantry combat, the fortress combat strength is zero, it is considered destroyed. Thus if a fortress' combat strength is reduced to zero by artillery fire, the benefit to the controlling player remains until the end of infantry combat. Hits to defending blocks in subsequent combat now occur per normal combat rules."

P13 Rules for Strategic Reorganization Rule 4 "4. Deception blocks may be moved in this phase and may replace a block to meet rule #4." That is self referential and doesn't make any sense. Are you talking about a different rule 4 someplace else? Or maybe it should really say "...to meet rule 3"?

P14 3rd paragraph Change "Retreating blocks may enter a hex were combat is..." to "Retreating blocks may enter a hex where combat is..."

P14 11.1 Belgium and 11.2 Great Britain In 11.1 it reads: "beginning in 1915, if Antwerp is friendly controlled or friendly contested by the Allies, Great Britain may move blocks from England to Antwerp during the movement phase."

In section 11.2 it says "Once Britain and Belgium are at war, British blocks may move to Antwerp in the same manner..."

Section 11.1 doesn't say anything about Belgium being at war, in 1915 can I move from England to Antwerp even if Belgium is not at war?

P14 11.2 Great Britain 2nd paragraph "If Belgium is not attacked by the Central Powers during the "opening Move", immediately move the BEF to Calais."

WHAT is the BEF? Oh, I know it means British Expeditionary Force, but in the game, is is a single block, group of blocks, you don't define what it is in game terms. Maybe it is something on the scenario card (which I haven't seen yet).

P15 12.4 Tanks remove the note that says (change name here?) Please don't change the name, even though the word 'tanks' describes more than just armor. The tank counter art is just too cool, and the Great War DID give us the 'tank' appellation. For history if nothing else, you need to keep the word TANK.

Kurt Keckley - Jun 3, 2015 11:34 am (#96 Total: 113)  

GMT P500 - Support Fields of Despair Today! 500, err 600 Orders Before the Snow Falls...  
[Keckley, Kurt]
Thank You!

I'm in an airport so I won't attempt to answer the questions above from my iPhone. There are a lot of good catches. I get especially excited by rules questions that pop up. We'd love to find as many of those pre-production as possible.

Thank you!

Don Smith - Jun 3, 2015 12:13 pm (#97 Total: 113)  

[Smith, Don]
Thanks Ron!

Thanks, Ron, for doing this.

I'm just a P500 guy who appreciates those who go the extra mile to make these games as good as they can be.

Thanks again for your efforts.

Kurt Keckley - Jun 7, 2015 3:37 am (#98 Total: 113)  

[Keckley, Kurt]
Questions

Ron, Here are some answers to the questions you had.

2 problems. Fortesss isn't a word, you want fortress, or maybe fortresses, but not fortresss with 3 trailing 's'. Second problem, as I understand it, a fortress is printed on the map, you can never really 'remove' it, right?

The symbol is printed on the map to help set up. The actual fortress is a fortress marker.

P11 7.3.3 Combat Table. Which player decides which of the optional table to use? Do both players have to use the same table?

The table used is determined by the game situation. If a player is attacking a fortress hex and would only score a hit on a 6, he uses the “Hit on 6” table. In all other situations players use the “Hit on 5 or 6” table where a hit is scored on a 5 or 6. The table is a substitute to rolling a lot of dice. It speeds play. You can roll 3d6, sum the dice and reference across to the number of dice you would otherwise roll. I’d like to add shout out to Tony Lagasek for creating the charts. He’s an actuary by trade and makes it look easy.

Same section, Trench Defensive Dice. When I first read the paragraph, I couldn't figure out how many dice to roll.

The table was right below this section. MS Word has a way of moving stuff around. If it’s located here, does that clear up the question? The label has been added.

WAIT! First line says the fortress isn't destroyed until '...the end of infantry combat...' So how can it be destroyed by artillery fire?! Artillery fire takes place BEFORE infantry combat!

Artillery fire can destroy a fortress if the Central Powers use “Big Bertha.” It’s not the general course of events. I’ll reword the section.

P13 Rules for Strategic Reorganization Rule 4 "4. Deception blocks may be moved in this phase and may replace a block to meet rule #4." That is self referential and doesn't make any sense. Are you talking about a different rule 4 someplace else? Or maybe it should really say "...to meet rule 3"?

Yes, should be to meet 3.

Section 11.1 doesn't say anything about Belgium being at war, in 1915 can I move from England to Antwerp even if Belgium is not at war?

They would have to be at war to meet the requirement of friendly controlled or friendly contested by the Allies.

Kurt Keckley - Jun 12, 2015 6:46 pm (#99 Total: 113)  

[Keckley, Kurt]
Updated Rules

Updated rules have been added to the header.

Ron Artigues - Jun 17, 2015 8:03 pm (#100 Total: 113)  

[Artigues, Ron]
V2 rules review

last lines of left hand column, p1 Combat Value (CV) The top number on a block when standing or the number on the face of an artillery counter. Determines the number of dice rolled in combat (7.3.3).

I think it should be changed to read "...number of dice rolled in combat (7.3.1 and/or 7.3.3)." You defined CV as coming from a block OR artillery unit, yet 7.3.3 refers to infantry combat only.

Last paragraph, right hand column of p1 STACKING LIMIT ...during movement and/or combat (6.2.1) should refer to (6.2.3) instead.

p5 Section 5.1 bullet item 1. Advance the Eastern Front maker once space toward... should be "Advance the Eastern Front marker one space toward..."

p6 Naval Blockade example text If PR was declared, the Allies would lose 1 EP. Where is this coming from? Section 6.4.1 is the only place where PR (Prize Regulations) are mentioned, and the rule in 6.4.1 merely states "If Prize regulations is declared, skip 6.4.4."

The example is referring to 6.4.3, which is NOT skipped ever, so how does PR affect ANY outcomes in 6.4.3? Either something is missing, or that line needs to be removed from the example text.

p7 6.5.1 Production Items In the table,, row 4, it says the Turn Limit is 2 for CP-Add EP to the Eastern Front. However, in the explanatory text below it reads Limit 1 per 10 CV on the Eastern Front card.

Is the limit 2 per turn, or 1 per 10 CV?

Kurt Keckley - Jul 2, 2015 3:34 pm (#101 Total: 113)  

[Keckley, Kurt]
Made the Cut!

We hit 500 orders today. A HUGE thank you to everyone who got us there!

Bill Lawson - Jul 2, 2015 4:15 pm (#102 Total: 113)  

[Lawson, Bill]
Made the Cut!

Congrats Kurt!!

Kurt Keckley - Jul 10, 2015 7:22 pm (#103 Total: 113)  

[Keckley, Kurt]
Inside GMT

Part 2 of the Solitaire article is up on the GMT blog. Check it out.

http://www.insidegmt.com/?tag=fields-of-despair

Kurt Keckley - Oct 14, 2015 12:58 pm (#104 Total: 113)  

[Keckley, Kurt]
Playtest Comments

Recent comments found in the Wargamers Facebook Group...

The new block game on WWI's western front looks like it's shaping up to be an interesting effort. I'm involved in the playtesting and can say the game has found a way to make a relatively static situation exciting, largely through the use of fog of war. It's hard to know if your opponent has left a hex fairly weak or is a bristling strongpoint. Airpower can reveal much if your planes don't get shot down.

Matthew Morocco - Feb 16, 2016 3:11 am (#105 Total: 113)  

[Morocco, Matthew]
Thank you!

Hi Kurt:

Appreciate you taking the time to explain the mechanics of the game and show the components at ORCCON 2016. Some very nice fog of war mechanism without a lot of rules, looks to be a very promising design. This will be the first block game I've purchased!

Sincerely, Matt (We spoke on Friday nite 2/13/16)

Kurt Keckley - Feb 16, 2016 1:42 pm (#106 Total: 113)  

[Keckley, Kurt]
It was my pleasure.

Mike Bertucelli ( Hobiecat ) - Feb 25, 2016 8:14 pm (#107 Total: 113)  

Developer for Mr. President, Fields of Despair, Gallic War, Liberty or Death, Comancheria and working on Tank Duel ( working title )  
[), Mike Bertucelli ( Hobiecat]
FoD Map

Here is a little tease of the near final map for Fields of Despair. Thing are coming together very fast now.

Fields of Despair Map photo FoD_Map_20FEB16.jpg

Luke Hughes - Feb 26, 2016 1:33 am (#108 Total: 113)  

Submitted To VPG: "The World Will Hold Its Breath" (Solitaire WWII in Europe)  
[Hughes, Luke]
New Map

Looks great!

David Ells - Feb 26, 2016 8:52 am (#109 Total: 113)  

"Anyone who has read this text closely to this point, and does not believe that Willoughby, Chiang, Wu T'ieh-cheng, Yi Pom-sok, Rhee, et al and their ilk were capable of a conspiracy to provoke a war, cannot be convinced by any evidence."  
[Ells, David]
Excellent!

sivaD ddoT - Feb 26, 2016 10:46 am (#110 Total: 113)  

Goodbye Ichi Ban (April 4 2011 - March 28 2012) I love you and I'll miss you forever! What a Good Kitty you were!!\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/'-*9  
[ddoT, sivaD]
Very nice!!

Don Smith - Feb 26, 2016 3:33 pm (#111 Total: 113)  

[Smith, Don]
Very nice.

Kurt Keckley - Mar 11, 2016 4:15 pm (#112 Total: 113)  

[Keckley, Kurt]
Updated Rules

The draft rules in the header have been updated. Let us know if you find anything egregious.

The illustrations are 100% draft.

Thanks!

Nick Wade - Mar 11, 2016 8:27 pm (#113 Total: 113)  

[Wade, Nick]
Just a minor edit:

Page 14, Strategy Tip - ‘squadron’ not 'squardon’.

Check Messages   SearchPost Message     Email to Sysop  Login

[F] CSW Forum  / Boardgaming  / *INDIVIDUAL GAMES AND GAME SERIES Discussion  / Era: World War I  / Fields of Despair: France 1914-1918

To post a message, compose your text in the box below, then click on Post My Message (below) to send the message.

Title:

You can also enter unformatted text here, such as source code. Anything you enter in the following box will be shown along with your regular formatted message as literal text.

Attachments:

You cannot rewrite history, but you will have 30 minutes to make any changes or fixes after you post a message. Just click on the Edit button which follows your message after you post it.

Go to:

Who's Here?   [ Nathan Kilgore ] [ Nick Charles ] [ Peter Johnson ] [ Greg Niswonger ] [ John McGuffog ] [ Bernie Roessler ] [ Antonio Pinar ] [ Joe Oppenheimer ] [ John McLeod ] [ Tom Gregorio ] [ ChrisDodd ] [ Allen Brookshire ] [ Robert Gamble ] [ Jeromey Martin ] [ Neil Spry ] [ Joshua Gottesman ] [ Jörgen Vikander ] [ Grant Whitley ] [ Daniel Gagnon ] [ Antonio Gomez ] [ Gary Krockover ] [ Jeffrey George Myers ] [ Lee Brimmicombe-Wood ] [ DirkHeinz ] [ 1 Guest ]

Terms of Use | Forum Guidelines